Ross University School of Medicine, located on the beautiful Caribbean island of Dominica in the West Indies, invites applications for a faculty post at any rank in Pharmacology. Our mission is to prepare highly dedicated and diverse students to become effective, successful physicians in the United States. Foundations of Medicine (basic sciences) coursework is taught in Dominica and students then complete their clinical studies in the United States. After passing all prerequisite examinations, RUSM graduates are licensed to practice medicine in all 50 states of the U.S. Ross University School of Medicine is a division of DeVry, Inc (NYSE:DV)
Education is the primary focus of the faculty. The academic year is divided into three semesters with a new class of students admitted each semester. Lectures and other educational responsibilities continue throughout the year. Effective teachers are sought, particularly individuals who are interested in improving medical education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The preparation of course material (handouts, practice questions, etc.)
- The delivery of effective lectures
- Facilitate small group learning opportunities
- Work one on one with our highly motivated students
- Advise individuals or groups of students in academic matters and exercise professional judgment in referring students to appropriate personnel
- Cooperate with our Center for Teaching and Learning in supporting improved student learning.
- Write and review NBME style questions for practice and assessments.
- Prepare, administer and evaluate examinations to assess the development of student accomplishments
- Develop improved instructional materials and teaching techniques and participate in on-going reviews and revision of curriculum, particularly with departmental colleagues
- Actively participate in relevant professional activities in order to improve both teaching and subject matter competence
- Serve on faculty committees as appointed or elected, and confer with advisory groups in order to modify course content
- Participate in other activities as assigned by the Department Chair or Executive Dean
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Ph.D. in Pharmacology, Pharm D, or equivalent or M.D./Ph.D.
- Extensive knowledge of pharmacology
- Ability to relate pharmacological concepts to clinical scenarios
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Documented record of teaching effectiveness
- Educational technological skills, including use of e-learning management systems, audience response systems, online examinations, videoconferencing
- Strong teaching skills and experience or evidence of potential
- Ability to demonstrate ongoing faculty development in medical education
- Ability to demonstrate use of active learning methods in curriculum
- Ability to initiate, complete, and present results of medical education research projects
- Desire for self-improvement
Flexibility and ability to work well on a team
- Enthusiastic teacher with previous teaching experience at a North American or United Kingdom medical school
Ross University offers a competitive, potentially tax-free annual salary, relocation assistance to and from Dominica, a retirement program, tuition assistance benefit, scholarship program for dependents, health care benefits, travel benefits, a living allowance and a generous annual leave program. We also offer opportunities for professional development. We are proud to be an EEO/M/F/D/V employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
To apply, please visit our website www.rossu.edu; select Careers and complete our online application process.